Statement of Policy
Steve Willis Training Centres (SWT) believes that it has created and maintains an inclusive working and learning environment that respects and celebrates differences. Everyone has the right to participate fully, give their best and achieve their full potential in a climate free from discrimination or harassment.
Purpose of Policy
We aim to provide an atmosphere where everyone feels valued and empowered to perform to their potential, regardless of the way many people are different, including:
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy & birth
- Religion of belief
- Marital or civil partnership status.
SWT is committed to advancing equality and eliminating discrimination on these grounds. We believe that equality, diversity and inclusion bring tangible benefits to all our customers, including apprentices and their employers. For our apprentices, this means a training environment taking into account their individual requirements.
This policy applies to all staff, including senior managers and directors, paid staff, consultancy staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, apprentices and course delegates or anyone working on behalf of SWT. This policy ensures that anyone training or applying for training, or working or applying for work at SWT is not discriminated against, either directly or indirectly.
The Equality Act 2010 recognises the following types of discrimination:
- Direct discrimination, including associative and perception discrimination
- Indirect discrimination
- Discrimination arising from a disability
- Failure to make reasonable adjustments.
Roles and Responsibilities
It is the responsibility of all staff, consultants, customers, apprentices and apprentice employers to work together towards combating all forms of discrimination. This includes reporting all incidents of discrimination through the proper channels. Breaches of this equality and diversity policy will be taken seriously and may be regarded as misconduct. This may result in disciplinary action up to and including suspension or withdrawal from the apprenticeship programme.
For Steve Willis Training Centres SWT will:
- Deal with all allegations of discrimination, harassment and victimisation sensitively and investigate fairly and thoroughly
- Treat any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation carried out by an individual as a matter for possible disciplinary action
- Ensure that equality and diversity are built into all aspects of the apprenticeship programmes
- Ensure that all learning takes place in a supportive environment free from discrimination or harassment
- Provide training in equality and diversity to apprentices and staff, to give them the opportunity to develop their skills and confidence and to deal with equality and diversity issues in a professional manner
- Lead by example in our dealings with customers, apprentices, employers and work placements
- Help apprentices, employers and work placements to improve their equality and diversity practices.
For apprentices and customers
- Treating trainers, assessors, other apprentices and work colleagues with dignity and respect
- Not doing anything that would discriminate against or harass others because of their race, disability, gender, pregnancy and birth, gender identification, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status
- Reporting any bullying or harassment.
During recruitment of staff or apprentices
- SWT staff will not discriminate during the selection & recruitment decision-making process
- Promotion and advancement will be based on merit, and any decision-making will be made following the principles of this policy
- Job descriptions and person specifications will be written in line with this policy
- Vacancies will be advertised in line with this policy and the SWT Recruitment Policy
- Recruitment will not be confined to areas or media which provide candidates only or mainly from a limited group
- All job applicants will be treated fairly and assessed only on their abilities to carry out the job
- Selection criteria and interview questions will be reviewed regularly to ensure they are related to the job requirements and do not discriminate
- Short-listing and interviewing will be with more than one person
- No applicant will be disqualified because they cannot complete an application form unassisted unless personal completion of the form is a valid test of the standard of English required for the safe and effective performance of the job.
Communication and Awareness
Communicating this policy
SWT will use a number of different ways to communicate our policy so that all our staff, apprentices, employers and others:
- Understand our commitment to equality and diversity
- Understand roles and responsibilities
- Know where to seek advice and guidance.
These methods will include equality and diversity being covered via:
- Sign-up processes for new apprentices and new employers
- Staff training/briefing meetings
- Information in apprentice and employer handbooks
- Employer/apprentice induction
- Staff / consultant / contractor induction
- Apprentice progress reviews
- Employer briefings and newsletters
- Posters displayed around the centres
- Any employment agencies used in recruitment are aware of and comply with this policy.
Implementation & monitoring
The Directors are responsible for implementation of this Equality and Diversity Policy. The Strategic Lead & Apprenticeships Manager and Sales & Marketing Manager are responsible for the monitoring of the policy:
- Employment records of all staff and apprentices are maintained and reviewed to monitor the progress of this policy in the application process
- Reports made under this policy are collated and reviewed to identify and tackle any shortcomings with processes or individuals
- Apprentice achievement rates are reviewed to ensure no differentials
- Managers report quarterly to Directors.
If you wish to report an incident you should report this to a trusted member of staff or contact:
Strategic Lead & Apprenticeships Manager
Phone: 07720 736 253
Phone: 02392 190 190 – ext 254
Sales & Marketing Manager
Phone: 01444 870 860 – ext 242